Are you a fan of Mexican cuisine but on a low-carb diet? Well, we’ve got good news for you! Keto Chili Rellenos, a low-carb version of a popular Mexican dish, are here to satisfy your cravings. This article will cover everything you need to know about this delicious and healthy recipe.
What are Chili Rellenos?
Chili Rellenos, which means “stuffed chilies” in Spanish, is a traditional Mexican dish made with poblano peppers. The dish typically consists of roasted and peeled poblano peppers that are stuffed with cheese, meat, or a combination of both, dipped in an egg batter, and then fried until golden brown. Chili Rellenos is often served with a spicy tomato-based sauce.
How to Make Keto Chili Rellenos?
Here’s a step-by-step guide to making Keto Chili Rellenos:
- 4 large poblano peppers
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Roast the poblano peppers on a baking sheet for 20 minutes, turning them over after 10 minutes.
- Let the peppers cool down and then peel the skin off.
- Cut a slit lengthwise into each pepper and remove the seeds and membranes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine almond flour, eggs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Stuff each pepper with shredded cheese, cilantro, and green onions.
- Dip each pepper into the egg batter, making sure to coat it completely.
- Place the peppers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream.
Why Keto Chili Rellenos?
Keto Chili Rellenos are not only delicious, but they are also a healthy low-carb option for those on a keto or low-carb diet. Traditional Chili Rellenos are high in carbs due to the breadcrumbs used in the recipe. However, by using almond flour instead of breadcrumbs and skipping the flour in the egg batter, we can make a low-carb version of this dish.
Additionally, the poblano peppers used in this recipe are a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are also low in calories, making them an excellent addition to any diet.
Tips for Making Perfect Keto Chili Rellenos
Here are some tips to keep in mind when making Keto Chili Rellenos:
- Make sure to roast the peppers until they are fully cooked and the skin is easy to peel off.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the slit in the peppers to avoid tearing them.
- Be sure to remove all of the seeds and membranes from the peppers to avoid any bitterness.
- Use room-temperature eggs for the egg batter to ensure it coats the peppers evenly.
- Bake the peppers until they are golden brown and crispy.
Keto Chili Rellenos are a tasty low-carb alternative to the traditional Mexican dish. By substituting almond flour for breadcrumbs and skipping the flour in the egg batter, we can make a delicious and healthy version of this popular recipe. With a few simple tips and tricks, you can make perfect Keto Chili Rellenos that are sure to impress.
- What can I substitute for poblano peppers in Keto Chili Rellenos?
You can use bell peppers or Anaheim peppers as a substitute for poblano peppers. However, the taste and texture may be slightly different.
- Is Keto Chili Rellenos suitable for vegetarians?
Yes, you can make vegetarian Keto Chili Rellenos by skipping the meat and adding more cheese or vegetables.
- Can I make Keto Chili Rellenos ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the Keto Chili Rellenos ahead of time and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place them in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes.
- How many carbs are in Keto Chili Rellenos?
The number of carbs in Keto Chili Rellenos will depend on the ingredients used. However, a typical serving of Keto Chili Rellenos will have around 5-7 grams of net carbs.
- Can I freeze Keto Chili Rellenos?
Yes, you can freeze Keto Chili Rellenos for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply place them in the oven at 350°F for 15-20 minutes until they are heated through.